Thursday, December 28, 2006

KRACKA-THOOOM!!!

Merry New Year!! ©Billy Ray Valentine

On the 1st day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: A new jownt for the prep time posseeeee....

As this monff has been ridiculoid and I have been devoid of much extra wompum, my comic collecting has suffered. All that changed, however, last Saturday as I strolled on in to my LCS and asked for the "long box of love" that was my saver bin. The fine fellow behind the counter promptly heaped two piles in front of me: one pile was comprised of my regular weekly pulls, and the other was comprised of even more of my regular weekly pulls. I really had no idea of how long it had been since I was last in the shop and emptying out said saver bin until I noticed the 4 copies of the superbly published DC comic "52". Perhaps you've heard of it? If so, you'd know that it is, indeed, a weekly comic. And as any good little ptp'er is aware: 4 sequentially numerated weekly comics doth a month make. Yes friends, it had been a full month since I was last in there purchasing my babies. I was taken aback...surely I hadn't let a month go by without reading anything new to tide me over.

No, actually I hadn't.

I had bought a couple books here and there each week, just a quick little fix here and there to tide me over. I bought the Russian Vor crime-drama trade "Red Warrior: Assassin For The Thieves World" a few weeks back because it looked decent. I also picked up a Daredevil trade, the first one of the recent run that featured Echo, to help me with my Matt Murdock addiction. There was also that splendid Metamorpho 4-issue limited series that my good brother Phenompyrus hooked me up with, all Kovert Kristofer Kringle style. Good look. So there was definitely some comic reading going on in this past hectic month but the heftiness of my purchase last Saturday clearly illustrated to me that I am waaayyy behind and in serious need of catch-up.


Here's what I got:

DC
ALL NEW ATOM 6
BATMAN 659
BATMAN 660
BATMAN: CONFIDENTIAL 1
BATMAN: DETECTIVE COMICS 826
BATMAN & THE SPIRIT 1
CHECKMATE 9
JONAH HEX 14
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 4
JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA 1
SECRET SIX 6
SHADOWPACT 8
SPIRIT 1
THE WATCHMEN 5
THE WATCHMEN 6
52 30
52 31
52 32
52 33

WILDSTORM
MIDNIGHTER 2

VERTIGO
EXTERMINATORS 14

BONGO
THE SIMPSONS 125

IMAGE
CROSS-BRONX 4
FEAR AGENT 9

DARK HORSE
THE ESCAPISTS 6

MARVEL
DAREDEVIL 62
DAREDEVIL 63
DAREDEVIL 64
DAREDEVIL 65
DAREDEVIL 66
DAREDEVIL 67
DAREDEVIL 68
DAREDEVIL 69
DAREDEVIL 70
IMMORTAL IRON FIST 1
IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN 3
MS. MARVEL 10
SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN 32
SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN 33
THE PUNISHER 41
THE PUNISHER 42
ULTIMATE POWER 2
CIVIL WAR: CAPTAIN AMERICA 24
CIVIL WAR: FANTASTIC FOUR 541
CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE 9
CIVIL WAR: IRON MAN 14
CIVIL WAR: IRON MAN / CAPTAIN AMERICA: CASUALTIES OF WAR
CIVIL WAR: WAR CRIMES 1

TRADES
DAREDEVIL "WAKE UP"
THE GOON "MY MURDEROUS YOUTH"
THE GOON "HEAPS OF RUINATION"

The Goon trades went to my man lonesome as part of the aforementioned Secret Santa but the rest are sitting right next to me, along with a set of current-sized boards and bags, just begging to be read. And then read again. As a personal challenge to myself I'm going to try and review every single goddamned one of those son-of-a-bitching cock sucker motherfuckers as a Holiday gift to you guys, me prep-time bredren. I haven't followed any COTW post closely for fear of ***SPOILERS***, so I'm big in the dark on any major developments in the MARVEL U. But seeing as how I'll probably be 46 by the time Civil War #6 comes out, what do I really have to lose?!? OOOhhh...burn!!!

As a discussion piece, what do you guys think of what Joey Q. had to say here: http://www.newsarama.com/NewJoeFridays/NewJoeFridays27.html ?

2 comments:

lonesome said...

Top of the pile should be: Secret Six #6, and JSA #1. 52 has been heaping on the goodness as well.

And I don't know when your brthday is, but Civil War #6 just came out... hie thee back to the store this week! Scalped is going to be up your alley as well, I think. unless it offends the Big Chief's sensibilities somehow but that is doubtful.

Thanks again for that Goony goodness. All has been read, re-read, and digested thoroughly with much enjoyment.

The Cork said...

Man, I love that GOON. Glad to hear it tickled your frightey bone, or rather scared your funny bone, or rather...eh fuck it.

I picked up Scalped from the cover alone. How can you resist such a raw cover of a scrawny buck in full headdress lookin fit to be tied? I myself cannot. I myself did not. I myself was pleased with the book and will most def be picking up the second installment.

I'm about 3 books away from being done with the hellacious amount I picked up these past couple of weeks, oh yeah...I got more, and I have to say that there is some damn good comic book storytelling going on right now in America. DC, MARVEL, VERTIGO, WS, and my year's "pound-for-pound" favorite IMAGE are pumping out a high number of enjoyable reads.

Now that GOON is on sabbatical, I must concede to a new favorite in the Rumbletummy camp: my man Heath as the last FEAR AGENT. This book has that "it" that I look for. Great art, stories that are involved and engaging but not wordy and de-com-pressed and depressing, and page after page of ass whoopins. I HIGHLY recommend this book to the posse. Issue #3 got my vote for single ish of the year.

Anyhoo, I'll drop random reviews soon.